Vasodilation and muscle-building are heavily integrated factors. Vasodilation is associated with the body’s veins, arteries, and blood vessels. Before we understand vasodilation and the science behind it, we need to understand that the arteries, veins, and blood vessels of the human body are not static. They are not rigid and are flexible according to the flow of the blood.
In this blog, we will reveal the science behind vasodilation, what it means, its mechanism, and how it benefits bodybuilders.
What is Vasodilation?
- Vasodilation is defined as the process in which the blood vessels of our body relax and widen.
- This widening leads to an increased flow of blood. The essential ingredient that causes the widening of the blood vessels is nitric oxide. Therefore, an increase in the production of nitric oxide in the body leads to the expansion of the arteries and veins.
- Furthermore, vasodilation also occurs when you work out your muscles as the muscles demand more oxygen and nutrients.
- Thus, vasodilation is triggered by the following factors,
- Naturally occurring phenomena
What’s the mechanism behind Vasodilation?
- Our blood vessels do the job of carrying blood and supplying the oxygen and nutrients from the blood to all parts of the body.
- When this blood flow is increased, the blood vessels relax and expand to a larger movement. As mentioned above, any production of nitric oxide in the body causes vasodilation.
- Besides, vasodilation is also caused due to carbon dioxide in the body and hormones like acetylcholine, prostaglandins, and histamine.
Why should Vasodilation matter to bodybuilders?
- For bodybuilders and athletes, vasodilation holds significant importance.
- For bodybuilders and athletes, the most essential requirement of the body while training is optimum nutrient delivery to all muscles and efficient waste removal. Vasodilation helps bodybuilders in the following ways.
- Optimum Nutrient Delivery: Vasodilation helps in supplying maximum oxygen and nutrient throughout the body. As the body is properly fueled, it helps to produce greater energy to lift the heavyweights. Thus, increased muscle stimulation is enabled.
- Removal of Catabolic Waste: Catabolic waste like lactic acid and ammonia cause muscle fatigue and failure. Vasodilation helps in the removal of this catabolic waste and reduces fatigue.
- Aesthetics: A vein-popping pump is one of the most satisfying things for a bodybuilder. Vasodilation enables bodybuilders to achieve pipe-like, well-defined, ramified veins throughout the body. This enhances the overall vascularity and appearance of the bodybuilder and improves aesthetics.
- Faster Recovery: By vasodilation, you are not only supplying nutrients and oxygen but also amino acids, testosterone, and growth hormone that are essential for muscle repair and growth. This catalyzes the muscle-growth process
What foods contribute to Vasodilation?
- There are certain foods like beetroot, lettuce, carrots, parsley, cabbage, radishes, spinach, and celery that help in achieving vasodilation. However, these foods do not directly lead to vasodilation but are rather converted into nitrates by the saliva.
- These nitrates then are converted into nitric oxide by gastric enzymes. Once the nitric oxide is released into the blood vessels, vasodilation takes place.
- Besides, foods rich in flavonoids like dark chocolate, broccoli, and nuts like pistachios contribute to vasodilation.
What are the best supplements for Vasodilation?
- Certain amino acids can help in vasodilation. Although these amino acids are naturally occurring in our body, they can be taken in the form of a supplement for optimum vasodilation.
- Following are the two amino acids.
– L-Arginine: It is a semi-essential amino acid that is found in eggs, red meat, cheese, chicken, and milk. It can increase nitric oxide production in the body, which will eventually lead to vasodilation.
– Citrulline: L-Citrulline is also a naturally occurring non-essential amino acid that can benefit you with vasodilation. Citrulline is found in foods like watermelon, pumpkins, cucumbers, squashes, and gourds.
- However, it is way easier to consume these amino acids in the form of supplements rather than from food.
- Six Pack Nutrition offers the best pre-workout supplement called Pump Up, which contains Arginine and Citrulline.
- This pre-workout supplement gives you a ramified pump and helps you lift heavier weights with the strong fusion of rhiN.O that contain nitric oxide boosters and mental stimulants
- Check out the best pre-workout supplement.
- Six Pack Nutrition also has other whey protein powders like Whey ABC and BCAA that contain arginine in it.
Understanding this science behind vasodilation will surely prove useful for achieving optimum muscle gains. Now that you know how vasodilation helps you in your workout, ensure that you consume the right foods and supplements for the same. Thus, it can be a valuable tool to boost your fitness journey.
Dietitian, Sports Nutritionist, Exercise Professional